BICYCLES USING THE
THOUSAND ISLANDS BRIDGE
- Bicyclist are required to cross the bridge system by utilizing the sidewalks located on the west side of the bridges. Under NO circumstances are bicyclist allowed on the bridge traffic lanes.
- The sidewalks are open from dawn to dusk, on a seasonal basis (mid-May to October 31st), weather permitting.
- Cyclists are required to walk their bicycles on the sidewalks.
- Maximum allowable width of bicycle and accessories is 25 inches due to the width of the sidewalk areas.
- Cyclists use the sidewalks at your own risk.
- Bicyclists needing special accommodations are required to contact the Thousand Islands Bridge Authority (315-482-2501), well in advance of your trip, to make arrangements.
- Approaching the bridge system from the south take New York State Route 12 to Seaway Avenue. Once on Seaway Avenue turn right onto Collins Landing Road. As you approach the U.S. Bridge Span you will see the entrance to the sidewalk. Once you have walked your bicycle across the U.S. Bridge Span you should proceed underneath the bridge and take County Route 100 east toward County Route 191. Turn left onto County Route 191 north towards Canada. (No bicycles are allowed on Interstate 81). After being granted entry by Canadian Customs you will take Highway 137 to the Canadian Bridge Span. The sidewalk entrance for the Canadian Bridge Span will be on the left (west) side. Once you walk your bicycle over the Canadian Span you will come to the Thousand Islands Parkway. The Thousand Island Parkway has a dedicated bicycle path both to the east and west.
- Approaching the bridge system from the north take the Thousand Islands Parkway to Highway 137. Proceed south on Highway 137. As you approach the Canadian Bridge Span you will see the entrance to the sidewalk on the right (west) side of the bridge. Once you have walked your bicycle across the Canadian Bridge Span you will continue south on Highway 137 towards the United States. After being granted entry by U.S. Customs you will take County Route 191 south (No bicycles are allowed on Interstate 81). At the end of County Route 191 you will turn right onto County Route 100 which will take you underneath the U.S. Bridge Span. The entrance to the sidewalk will be on the right (west) side of the bridge. Once you walk your bicycle over the U.S. Bridge Span take Collins Landing Road to Seaway Avenue. Turn left onto Seaway Avenue and this will take you to New York State Route 12.
For more information on bicycling in New York State: https://www.dot.ny.gov/display/programs/bicycle
For more information on bicycling in Ontario: http://www.canadatrails.ca/biking/bike_on.html